Thursday, April 2, 2015

April Foolsin'

Yesterday was April 1st and along with that comes April Fools Day! We didn't pull too many pranks on each other. Actually we didn't pull any pranks on each other. The neighbor boys did bring my son over a chocolate cupcake with orange frosting and a cup of dirt, which ended up being meatloaf discuised as a chocolate cupcake and mashed potatoes with some ketchup mixed in for the frosting. The dirt was some delicious chocolate pudding with oreos mixed in and some candy worms, but other than that, we were kind of boring this year. We did end up doing a fun dinner though.

Growing up my mom was always really into holidays. Even the small ones like St. Patty's Day and April Fool's Day. So this year I decided to recreate a favorite tradition that we used to do on April Fools Day that I haven't really been able to do yet cause my kids have been too little. But this year I asked myself, "what five year old doesn't love a silly dinner?"

So this is how it would work growing up... There was always a brown paper bag set out for each member of the family. I didn't have brown paper bags but I did have paper bags, but dark plastic sacks worked great too! Once we sat down to dinner, which was never suspicious(usually spaghetti) we could open our bags to see what silly utensils we were supposed to eat our dinner with.
I went around the kitchen and tried to pick things that would be funny and semi-functional, but just enough of a challenge to eat spaghetti with. I also tried to serve some foods that would be harder to eat without a regular spoon and fork. I made jello, and we had a green salad, and peaches and cottage cheese. The dinner is completely edible and has not been tampered with so that way when your husband asks "what's with the bags" you can just smile and contain a little giggle still being suspicious but knowing that your family will still be able to eat dinner!
Dinner was so fun and the kids loved it. My son was confused about why he was eating out of a frying pan, but loved drinking out a measuring cup, and I think he purposley asked for a refill about four times. My daughter thought drinking out of a baby bottle was great...(Hopefully she doesn't get any ideas). My husband had a harder time drinking out of a pitcher and his pasta spoon was a little harder to eat with so he traded in for a baby size fork. It was hilarious to watch everyone eat and we all had spaghetti allover our faces. 



This was what I got to eat out of, and with... Trust me eating spaghetti with tongs is really hard:)
I hope you guys had a fun April Fool's Day! I know we did! Hope this sparks some harmless fun for your next April Fool's Day! I know this dinner will continue to be a tradition in our home and maybe as the years go on we won't surrender after ten minutes and beg for forks! Thanks for stoping by for a kick of country!


3 comments:

  1. What an adorable story! I want to copy you next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss doing this!! Can't wait to do this with the boys!! I should have done it with coop this year! I'm boring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! I kept thinking what a waste of time to make a silly dinner that my kids won't eat.... So this is a great alternative! Cute!

    ReplyDelete